OBERLIN — If you have a hankering to win a Harry Potter book in a watermelon-eating contest, drink a few brews at the Oberlin Inn beer garden or dunk a member of Oberlin Council or Oberlin Schools Superintendent Geoffrey Andrews, you won’t want to miss the
Events for Saturday include
11 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Oberlin Inn beer garden
Family Fun Fair from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
Most of the events are free — with the exception of the dunking booth and movie and food vendors. The Family Fun Fair drew about 4,000 people last year.
There are a few spots left, but Andrews is scheduled for the dunking booth from 10 to
11 a.m., so if you want him, get there early.
Councilman Tony Mealy is scheduled to be dunked 11 a.m. to noon and Councilman David Ashenhurst should be in the booth 3 to 4 p.m., said Shirley Hull, one of the event planners. The dunking booth is on the south lawn next to the Oberlin post office.
At Monday’s school board meeting, member Carol Correthers teased Andrews that his dunking spot “ought to make big money.”
Another board member, Beth Weiss, told Andrews, “You’re going down.”
There also will be a classic car show at the Family Fun Fair.
Merchants will have sidewalk sales from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Clifford the Big Red Dog and Curious George will be wandering through the crowd all day.
Other events include live music and a raffle. The Hotline Band will play, and there will be a 50/50 raffle. Tickets are available from sales people and at information/registration in front of the Oberlin Bookstore and at the Main Street Oberlin Inc. booth. In addition to the cash prize, tickets to the first Browns exhibition game this month and tickets to the Lorain County Speedway also will be awarded.
Other events include:
• Scottish Games vintage motorcycles and the Lorain County British Car Club in the Oberlin Inn parking lot.
• Premier Toyota/Scion cars on display in the library parking lot.
• Full Circle Fuels will show biodiesel-converted vehicles on East College Street.
• The owner of a 1965 Chevy Corvette street car will do a “burn out” — 8.074 seconds in the quarter-mile on East College Street.
• Kathy’s Kanine Klipping will have a dog wash in the Lorenzo’s Pizza parking lot.
• An inflatable bouncy castle to benefit Oberlin Community Services will be in the library parking lot.
Contact Cindy Leise at 329-7245 or email@example.com.