Northeast Ohio / Lake Erie / North Coast
Up in arms
• Strongsville quarterback Tim Kamczyk (1,339 yards, 14 TDs).
• Solon quarterback Zack Brillhart (718 yards, 6 TDs)
• Elyria quarterback John Yeoples (874 yards, 11 TDs)
• Elyria Catholic quarterback Cody Schuster (861 yards passing, 980 yards rushing, 5 TD passes)
He’s got legs
• Chanel tailback Aaron Roberson (2,000 yards rushing)
• Strongsville tailback Eric Stoyanoff (1,349 yards, 10 TDs)
• Admiral King tailback Tim Taylor (700 yards, 6 TDs)
• Elyria Catholic tailback Jayson Graham
• Strongsville wide receiver and Nebraska recruit D.J.Woods (737 yards receiving, 6 TDs)
• Southview wide receiver Blake Witherspoon
• Elyria Catholic wide receivers Richie Baker and Patrick Flanigan
• Elyria Catholic tight end Joe Fitch
• Elyria tackle and three-year starter Adam “Chunk” Daniels
• Admiral King tackle Anthony Edwards
• Chanel tackle Mike McElliott
Stop right there
• Solon linebacker Steve Greer (128 tackles, 2 interceptions)
• Elyria DB Greg Shotwell (102 total tackles, 2 interceptions)
• Brunswick linebacker Garrett Mack (98 tackles, 2 sacks)
• Southview linebacker Baron Bartlebaugh (145 tackles)
• Admiral King defensive back Chris Kimbro
• Elyria Catholic linebacker Jacob Schuster (Cody’s twin brother)
Admiral King Admirals
Coach: Mark Campo, 4th year (8-22 overall)
Returning Starters: 13
Top Returnees: Tim Taylor 5-11, 190-pound senior TB, Chris Kimbro, 5-11, 180-pound junior CB, Cameron Bryant, 5-10, 195-pound senior LB, Anthony Edwards, 5-10, 275-pound NT.
Keys to Season: Coach Campo hopes to build off last season’s four-game winning streak that closed out the year and gave the Admirals a share of the LEL Erie Division title with Shaw and Garfield. Tailback Tim Taylor closed out last season with a huge game against Southview and figures to get the bulk of the carries this season.
Coach: Todd Auvil, 1st year
Returning Starters: 7
Top Returnees: Vince Gerace 5-8, 180-pound senior QB, Blake Witherspoon, 6-1, 175-pound senior WR, Baron Bartlebaugh, 5-8, 185-pound senior LB.
Keys to Season: Todd Auvil brings a new offense and defense, as well as an entirely new coaching staff, to the Saints. Southview must get off to a good start and find some success early to break out of its losing ways.
Coach: Steve Hamilton, 1st year
Returning Starters: 5
Top Returnees: John Yeoples, 6-0, 180-pound senior QB, Tyler Almeida 6-1, 180-pound kicker, Adam Daniels, 5-8 275-pound OT, Greg Shotwell 6-0, 200-pound senior DB, Seryrell Davis, 6-3 195-pound senior WR.
Keys to season: Arguably one of Elyria’s best senior classes led the football program the past three years. Steve Hamilton takes over as head coach and admittedly is going with a lot of young guys. They’ll need to get a few W’s under their belt early.
Elyria Catholic Panthers
Coach: Ben Malbasa, 1st year
Returning Starters: 10
Top Returnees: Cody Schuster, QB, Jayson Graham, TB, Richie Baker WR, Patrick Flanigan WR, Joe Fitch TE.
Keys to season: How quickly a veteran group understands its new coach will be the big key to Elyria Catholic’s season. Potentially, the Panthers should contend for the league championship and quite possibly a return to the postseason.