September 1, 2014

Elyria
Cloudy
76°F
test

Never mind — it wasn’t a gas leak

A suspected gas leak at the Center for Leadership in Education forced the evacuation of the Burns Road building Monday giving employees a short-lived break from work.

The Elyria Fire Department was called out to the building at about 10:24 a.m. and found employees standing outside after believing they smelled gas in the building. About an hour later, a crew from the Columbia Gas Company tested the air, but did not detect a leak in the area, Assistant fire Chief Tim Mitchell.

At that time, the building was cleared and employees were allowed to go back inside. Initial reports that a gas leak was found in the area proved to be incorrect, Mitchell said.