August 20, 2014

Elyria
Cloudy
70°F
test

Cooking fire damages Elyria home

ELYRIA – A pan left on a stove sparked a small fire about 6:30 p.m. Saturday at a High Street duplex, firefighters say.

Elyria Assistant fire Chief Tim Mitchell said no one was home in either side of the building when the pan overheated and ignited a small portion of the kitchen.

It took firefighters only about 10 minutes to extinguish the flames. Still, the fire caused $5,000 in damages, Mitchell estimates.

A mother and three children who live  in the duplex were given housing by the Red Cross. Their names were not available late Saturday.