September 17, 2014

Elyria
Sunny
53°F
test

Roundup: Dec. 22

Man hurt by deer half improving at hospital

WELLINGTON — A man who was knocked unconscious by a severed deer corpse that flew through his windshield Thursday was in fair condition Friday night, a nursing supervisor at MetroHealth Medical Center said.

Jeremy Bradford, 30, of Wellington, is recovering from non-life-threatening cuts on his head and face.

State troopers said Bradford was nearing his Griggs Road home about 5:30 p.m. when the deer wandered on to state Route 58.

The animal was struck by a minivan in another lane and flew into the air — striking Bradford’s Jeep. It was split in two as it crashed through the windshield, with the front half landing on the road and the rear half smashing Bradford in the face before landing in the cargo portion of the Jeep.

Bradford’s wife and two young children, ages 3 and 1, were showered with bloody fur and deer innards, but they weren’t hurt, said Trooper Christopher Ausse. The Jeep came to a stop in a ditch, he said.

Carl Baker, 46, was driving the Dodge Caravan that first hit the deer. He and his wife, Donna, 50, were not injured.

Police search causes school lockdown

ELYRIA — Cascade Elementary School was locked down briefly Friday morning as Elyria police and county Sheriff’s deputies searched for a man threatening to harm himself.

The Bond Street school was notified that the man police sought had once resided near the school along Furnace Street and could be in the area.

Police searched the residence and determined that Darryl Jackson, 31, was not at the address, but notified the school as a precautionary measure.

The 240 Cascade students were kept in their classrooms from 8:45 to 10 a.m.

Police are still searching for Jackson.

Furnace fire causes $25,000 in damages

LORAIN — A faulty furnace caught fire Friday morning, forcing five people out of their Grant Street home.

Lorain fire Lt. Mark Nunez said firefighters found heavy smoke pouring from the windows of the house at 8:19 a.m., and two adults and three boys made it out safely.

The fire swept through the second floor and crews cut through the roof for ventilation. Smoke, flames and water caused $25,000 in damages and ruined $5,000 in contents, Nunez said.