ELYRIA — Strangers ran to the rescue Tuesday night when they saw flames on an enclosed porch.
Elizabeth Boardwin and several friends were at a house down the street about 7:30 p.m. when they saw an orange glow at the home of Mattie Williams, 136 Clinton Ave.
They ran to the home, formed a chain and threw snow on the blaze until firefighters arrived, Boardwin said. The flames reached to the ceiling, but their efforts stopped it from spreading, she said.
Jim Martin, who lives across the street, said his 9-year-old daughter was looking out the window at the snowfall and saw something wrong at Williams’ home. When he saw smoke pouring from the porch windows, he called 911.
Williams wasn’t hurt and firefighters rescued her “babies” — several dogs — from inside the house, said her brother, Richard Williams.
Williams said she had smelled smoke earlier in the evening and went outside to check, but she found nothing. Elyria fire Capt. Jack Conjalko said the fire possibly was started by a dropped cigarette. The porch was scorched, but the main house wasn’t damaged, Williams said. No damage estimate was available Tuesday night.
Contact Jason Hawk at 329-7148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.