American Red Cross blood drives at Avon Donor Center, 2100 Center St., Avon. Appointments are preferred; call (800) GIVE-LIFE.
- 2 to 8 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays
Adult and teen fitness classes offered by YMCA of Greater Cleveland at Liberty Business Park 1, 1260 Moore Road, Avon. Classes include Pilates, Power Sculpt, kickboxing and others. For class schedule and information, call Linda at (216) 609-3480 or visit www.clevelandymca.org.
David F. Schneider Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 7035, Avon, is looking for new members. If you’re a U.S. military veteran who has received a campaign medal for overseas service, served 30 consecutive or 60 nonconsecutive days in Korea, or received hostile fire pay, you are eligible. Iraq War veterans are encouraged to join. Meetings are 8 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month. For information, call (440) 934-9295.
Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Support Group meetings, 7 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month, Alzheimer’s Association Western office, 37500 Harvest Drive, Avon.
National Alliance on Mental Illness meets 7 p.m. the second Monday and last Wednesday of the month at Avon Fire Station, Detroit Road, Avon. New family-to-family classes are forming. For information, call (440) 282-3204 or (440) 365-8438 or visit namiloraincounty.com. NAMI is at 1936 Cooper Foster Road, Lorain.
Avon Democratic Club meets the third Tuesday of each month at the Avon Senior Center, 36786 Detroit Road. For information, visit www.avondems.com or e-mail email@example.com.
YMCA programs at Liberty Business Park 1, 1260 Moore Road, Unit 1, Avon. Variety of wellness programs available, including Boot Camp, Ab Lab, Power Sculpt, Basic Pilates, YogaSculpt, Stroller Fitness and The Mixx. For times, registration and program fees, call (216) 509-3480.
Lunch program: Nearly every local school district has adopted the following income eligibility scale of the USDA-funded Child and Adult Care food program for free milk or free and reduced-price meals, which are available to all enrolled participants without regard to race, color, national origin sex, age or disability. Application forms are available from the schools and other locales that participate in the program. Eligibility guidelines — based on family size — are:
- Parents plus one member: $14,079 for free meals, $20,036 for reduced.
- Parents plus two members: $18,941 for free, or $26,955 for reduced.
- Parents plus three members: $23,803 for free, or $33,874 for reduced.
- Parents plus four members: $28,665 for free, or $40,793 for reduced.
- Parents plus five members: $33.527 for free or $47,712 for reduced.
- Parents plus six members: $38,389 for free, or $54,631 for reduced.
- Parents plus seven members: $43,251 for free, or $61,550 for reduced.
- Parents plus eight members: $48,113 for free, or $68,469 for reduced.
For each additional member, add $4,862 to be eligible for free meals, or $6,919 to be eligible for reduced-price meals.
Submit calendar items at least two weeks prior to the event by faxing to 329-7282 (Attention: Avon/Avon Lake) or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.