Richard Nakoff was headed home when he spotted smoke billowing from the roof of the house two down from his.
He said he called 911 at 8:53 p.m. and ran to the front door to see if anyone was inside.
“I knocked on the door and didn’t hear anything at first, but then it sounded like someone inside was saying, ‘I’m OK,’ but they didn’t want to come out of the house,” Nakoff said.
He busted through the door and was met by the homeowner, Tom Donaghue, who was covered in black soot and talking incoherently.
Nakoff, 27, said he explained to Donaghue that his house was on fire and that they needed to leave.
Donaghue was taken away by ambulance to EMH Medical Center in Elyria. His condition was unknown at press time.
Carlisle Township firefighters, along with crews from nearby fire departments, battled the blaze for about an hour.
Smoke could be seen for several blocks around the home and the flames were spotted everywhere in the house, from the basement to the rooftop.