Summer is on the way, and now’s the time to make sure your air conditioner is up to the task of getting through the warm weather ahead. Annual springtime maintenance makes your A/C more efficient and prevents major problems from developing in the future.
Spring is the time to have your air conditioner serviced, so it will be in to shape by the time summer rolls around. You don’t want to wait until something major goes wrong. When you hire a technician to perform maintenance on your air conditioner, he should thoroughly service your entire A/C system, including each of the following:
- Check the accuracy of your thermostat.
- Test for refrigerant leaks.
- Check the refrigerant levels.
- Capture any refrigerant that needs to be removed from the system.
- Oil the motor and check all belts for tightness and wear.
- Inspect your air ducts for leaks and loose connections, and repair any leaks that might be found.
- Measure the air flow through the evaporator coil.
- Inspect the electrical terminals, clean and tighten all connections, and apply a non-conductive coating if necessary.
- Make sure the electric control sequence is correct so that your heating and cooling systems cannot operate at the same time.
A Few Things You Can Do Yourself…
In addition to professional maintenance, there are a few measures you can take yourself to make sure your A/C is ready for summer and to keep it running efficiently through the cooling season.
- Inspect the seal between your air conditioner and the window frame at the beginning of the cooling season, and seal the gap if necessary.
- Check the evaporator coil annually and clean it if necessary.
- Check the condensate drains for clogs by passing a stiff wire through the drain channels.
- Keep up with regular air filter changes. Filters should be changed or cleaned every one to three months throughout the cooling season.
If you’d like to schedule an appointment, or just learn more about the benefits of springtime maintenance, contact Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing. We’ve been serving the Greater Cleveland area since 1935.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about springtime maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Geisel Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing services Western Cleveland. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today! For those Do it Yourselfers who would rather take control of your own indoor comfort, you can shop our online store for replacement parts, products and accessories!