With the wrath of Sandy behind us and the winter looming, the Lorain County General Health District advises residents to restock their emergency supplies kit.
All Lorain County residents should have some basic supplies on hand in order to survive for at least three days in an emergency. Each kit should contain bottled water, non-perishable foods, sleeping bag or bedding, change of clothes, flashlights, battery-powered radio and NOAA Weather Radio, extra batteries, a first aid kit, and a can opener.
Since we are close to the end of 2012, consume the year-old supplies of food, water, and use batteries - then replace them with new items. "Even though the bottled water and non-perishable foods have a long shelf life, it’s still a good idea to change them out annually to keep them fresh," says Lorain County General Health District Acting Health Commissioner Dave Covell, RS, MPH.
It is also wise to consider having at least two emergency supply kits, one full kit at home and smaller portable kits in the workplace, vehicle or other places where you spend time.
Additional items that might be included in your disaster supply kits include:
- Shovel, salt and/or sand to provide traction and melt ice or snow.
- Whistle to signal for help.
- Prescription medications and glasses.
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities.
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger.
- Pet food and extra water for your pet.
- Important family documents, such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container.
- Cash or traveler's checks and change.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Matches in a waterproof container.
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items such as moist towlettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation.
For more information on how to build your basic disaster supplies kit click here. To learn how to maintain your kit click here. Visit www.redcross.org. For more information to help you weather storms, follow us on Twitter @LorainCoHealth or Like us on Facebook.