Hay rides, apple picking, and attending football games are just a few ways Lorain County residents like to spend fall with family and friends. Stay healthy and protect yourself and loved ones from disease this flu season so you can enjoy all of the fall things you love. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC, urges you to Take 3 important steps during flu season to help guard yourself and others from the flu:
1. Take Time to Get Vaccinated. Get a flu shot.
- CDC recommends the yearly flu vaccine as the first and most important step in protecting against flu viruses.
- Everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu vaccine.
2. Take Everyday Measures to Prevent Disease. Avoid spreading germs.
- Limit touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cover coughs & sneezes – don’t use your hands!
- Wash hands often.
- Reduce contact with others when you are sick.
- Avoid people who have flu-like symptoms.
3. Take Flu Antiviral Drugs when Prescribed. Seek treatment if you are sick.
- Antiviral drugs are not antibiotics.
- They can shorten the time you are sick.
- These drugs can prevent serious complications – many are hospitalized each year from the flu.
The Lorain County General Health District encourages ALL Lorain County residents to team up with a flu shot this season. Find flu shot clinics with the Flu Shot Locator! There is still time to be vaccinated. Visit the www.LorainCountyFlu.com to locate a nearby flu shot clinic where you work, live, pray or play.