AMHERST — Two dogs were saved from a house fire at 1067 Plaza Drive thanks to the quick thinking of neighbors.
Witnesses said that a neighbor spotted a fire at the home and knocked down a door, pulling one of the homeowner’s beagles out. The other dog was trapped in the basement but firefighters rescued it, according to Amherst Assistant Fire Chief Jim Wilhelm.
That dog was being treated by paramedics Thursday night and was expected to recover, Wilhelm said.
“We had to get him out of the basement. He wasn’t happy,” he said.
The home, owned by Debra and Paul Janner, did not fare as well.
Firefighters were called to the blaze at 7:58 p.m. and immediately called for mutual aid. The Amherst, Elyria Township and South Amherst fire departments knocked down the fire within 45 minutes, according to Wilhelm, but it was too late. The home was declared a complete loss.
According to the Lorain County Auditor’s website, the home was purchased for $124,500 in 1996.
At 10 p.m. Thursday, investigators were combing through pieces of the house to determine where and how the fire started. Wilhelm said this morning that no official cause has been determined, but it looks like a car inside of the home’s garage may be to blame.
No one was home during the fire, according to Wilhelm.
He said firefighters offered to contact the Red Cross to get the residents some housing assistance, but they declined because they have family in the area.
Contact Chelsea Miller at 329-7123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.