October 25, 2014

Elyria
Partly sunny with showers
67°F
test

Chimney fire displaces owner

NORTH RIDGEVILLE — The North Ridgeville Fire Department responded early Sunday to a fire in a single family home.

According to the report, the Fire Department received a call regarding a house fire in a single family home at 1:35 a.m. Sunday at the 7200 block of Dyke Avenue, North Ridgeville.

Assistant Fire Chief John Reese said the homeowner extinguished the fire in his fireplace at night before going to bed, but then heard a crackling sound coming from the ceiling.

“He walked outside and saw flames coming from the chimney,” Reese said Sunday.

The resident was advised to remain outside of the house and wait for fire units to arrive.

Fire Department crews found light smoke and fire on the north wall of the home near the fireplace.

“Crews immediately began opening up the walls and ceiling (to extinguish the fire),” the report stated.

The cause of the fire is undetermined, but is thought to have started near the fireplace.

Mutual aid was provided by Elyria, Avon, Avon Lake and Sheffield.

Reese said the homeowner will not be able to return for up to two months and is staying with family.

Damage was estimated at $45,000. There were no injuries.