November 25, 2015


No one injured in Lorain fire

LORAIN — No one was hurt in a house fire at 2711 Ashland Avenue called in at 7:37 p.m. Thursday.

The fire in a wood-framed duplex near West 27th Street was due to an electrical problem, according to Assistant Fire Chief Dennis Livchak. He said the resident of the home said after she turned on a space heater in her living room, she saw a flame coming from the electrical outlet which quickly spread to drapes. The woman grabbed her 1-year-old baby and fled.

The fire was contained to the living room and firefighters controlled it in about two minutes, Livchak said. The fire also caused smoke damage to the kitchen, but didn’t spread to the other home in the duplex.

Property damage was estimated at about $40,000 and $8,000 for belongings. The woman is staying with relatives, Livchak said.

About Evan Goodenow

Evan Goodenow has been covering Lorain County since 2011. He can be reached at 329-7129 or Follow him on Twitter.