August 22, 2014

Elyria
Cloudy
69°F
test

Heating system malfunction sends woman to hospital

ELYRIA  — A faulty gas furnace forced residents to vacate their home.

Elyria Fire Department Capt. Jamison Norris said a heating system malfunctioned at 7:10 p.m. Friday in the 700 block of Case Avenue.

“There was not a structure fire, but the malfunction created a smoke condition,” Norris said.

According to the Lorain County auditor’s website, the property is owned by Raymond W. Burgett, who resides in the 1100 block of Gulf Road, Elyria.

Norris said the Fire Department is determining who lives in the home.

The people inside the home were fully aware of the situation and called 911, Norris said.

According to Norris, the occupants inside the home had to leave due to high levels of carbon monoxide.

“The fire department had to ventilate the home,” Norris said.

The residents were allowed to enter the home once the levels of carbon monoxide were nonexistent.

One woman, who was inside the home at the time of the malfunction, was transported to EMH Elyria Regional Medical Center for treatment. Her medical condition was not known Friday night.

Norris said Columbia Gas Co. received a phone call earlier in the day to restore service to the home’s furnace. He was unsure what the problem was with the furnace earlier in the day.

Norris said he was unable to estimate the amount of damage the malfunction caused. The home has a market value of $65,190 according to the auditor’s website.

Contact Melissa Linebrink at 329-7155 or ctnews@chroniclet.com.