December 22, 2014

Elyria
Intermittent clouds
24°F
test

Stove burners blamed for house fire

LORAIN — Burners on the top of an electric stove being used to heat a home are believed to be responsible for an apartment house fire at 2640 Apple Ave. around 6 a.m. Monday.

No one was hurt in the fire at the two-floor, four-unit dwelling, but seven adult tenants and a child were displaced, according to Assistant Fire Chief Roy Cochran. He said a frying pan on the stove caught fire. “Nothing good can come from it,” Cochran said about using a stove to heat a home.

Fire coming from the rear, first-floor apartment, when firefighters arrived around 6:05 a.m., Cochran said. They controlled the fire around 6:40 a.m.

A fire wall saved the other two apartments in the approximately 5,000-square-foot house. The other two apartments were destroyed causing about $45,000 in property damage and roughly $12,000 in damage to belongings.

The tenants were assisted by the American Red Cross Lorain County chapter. Firefighters used sand and salt on ice that formed from water from their hoses on the street around the house, which is between East 26th and East 27th streets.