LORAIN — The Lorain Fire Department and Ohio State Fire Marshal are investigating the cause of a fire that sent a 4-year-old boy to the hospital with severe burns, but Lorain Fire Asst. Chief Jeff Fenn said careless smoking is not the cause.
Lorain police reported that Nicole King, mother of four-year-old Nasire King, who is now in critical condition at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland, was overheard by hospital staff saying that she may have fallen asleep with a lit cigarette Saturday. Fenn said investigators are still trying to determine what caused the fire, but he said it was not caused by cigarette smoking.
Firefighters were called to the family’s home at 1045 W. 19th Street at 1 a.m. Saturday to find the first floor of the home fully engulfed in flames. A police report reported that Nicole King, her mother and seven kids were standing outside the home, including Nasire King, who was wrapped in a blanket.