Banner, in his first draft in charge of the Browns, said the organization has reached a consensus on who it wants with its first pick.
“Yes, there is a guy,” he said tonight on an interview with WKRK 92.3-FM. “I think it’s about 65-35 he will be there.”
The likely targets are outside linebackers Dion Jordan (Oregon), Ezekiel Ansah (BYU) and Barkevious Mingo (LSU), Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner and possibly West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith.
Banner said he remains in conversation with three or four teams about trades. The Browns would like to acquire a second-round pick – they used theirs on receiver Josh Gordon in last year’s supplemental draft – but Banner said it’s not the first priority.
“If we had a chance to add a blue-chip player in the first round, that would be more important to me than filling in the hole in the second round,” he said.
Banner said he isn’t in any trade discussions regarding his players.
“Now keep in mind that can change in a minute,” he said.
He said he’s had one conversation in the last few days regarding a player on another team. That’s believed to be Miami receiver Davone Bess, according to multiple reports Wednesday.
“I don’t know whether something will happen or not, but it probably still kind of hangs out there as a possibility,” Banner said.