November 23, 2014

Elyria
Cloudy
56°F
test

Fire damages apartment building

ELYRIA – A fire at Condor Garden Apartments was quickly extinguished Wednesday afternoon but not before several apartments in the building were damaged by the smoke.

Firefighters were called to the building at 1:41 p.m. and arrived five minutes later to find flames coming from a second floor apartment.

Assistant Fire Chief Ron Brlas said the fire originated in an apartment rented by Richard Stanton, and fire investigators believe that a hot water tank was to blame.

Brlas said Stanton told firefighters he was sleeping when he smelled smoke. Stanton safely escaped the building, and the fire was extinguished by 1:58 p.m.

Yomayraliz Alvarez, who lives on the third floor of the building, said she saw the smoke and escaped by jumping off the third story balcony. She had a cut on her leg from the jump.

A pregnant woman, who was a resident in the building, was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Brlas said Stanton will be unable to live in his apartment, and other residents will likely be displaced for some time.

 

Contact Chelsea Miller at 329-7123 or cmiller@chroniclet.com.


  • Trevor

    I called that in pizza delivery guy to the rescue… Glad there was no major.. injuries…hope that girl and her baby are alright