November 28, 2014


Toaster eyed as cause of Elyria house fire

ELYRIA — A toaster is being blamed for a fire that substantially damaged a west-side house at 937 Oakwood Drive around 11:40 a.m. Sunday.

An 84-year-old woman told firefighters she was making toast and left her kitchen for a short time, according to fire Capt. James Cawley. When the woman returned, she said the toaster was on fire.

The woman, who was uninjured, was outside when firefighters arrived. Cawley said the blaze, which caused about $20,000 in property damage and $8,000 to belongings, was extinguished in about five minutes.

The house was boarded up, and the woman is staying with relatives.

  • Mark

    sad to think a $20 fire extinguisher would have saved her $19,980 in the end….

    • Bob Sweatt

      Correct. But as long as she knew to ground the extinguisher before aiming at the plugged in toaster. If she didn’t she would have been shocked.