Fire Battalion Chief Tom Garra says area residents were evacuated because air monitors detected sulfur dioxide at levels that weren’t life-threatening but posed health hazards. Those levels had dropped by midday Tuesday, when residents were cleared to return home.
Several schools near the area had canceled Tuesday classes.
The fire broke out Monday at a former packaging business, and responders trained to handle hazardous materials were called to the scene. Garra says white smoke released from the initial blaze indicated a possible chemical reaction or leak.