AVON — Avon Schools has alerted Avon residents, parents and students after a potential case of viral meningitis was detected in a student Wednesday.
Superintendent Mike Laub said the district is trying to provide “precautionary communication with the district” regarding the incident.
Meningitis, which is an inflammation of the tissue around the brain and spinal cord, can manifest as bacterial meningitis or the more common form, viral meningitis.
Viral meningitis has far fewer serious consequences, said Barb Kowalski, nursing supervisor at Lorain County General Health District. It is most commonly caused by someone not washing his hands after using the bathroom, sharing items that contain saliva or shaking hands with someone infected with viral meningitis who hasn’t washed his hands properly.
Unlike bacterial meningitis, someone with viral meningitis can completely recover, Kowalski said, adding that the district is urging people to wash their hands thoroughly and not to use items that have touched someone else’s mouth.
The school system is unsure if the student has viral meningitis, but it plans to work closely with the General Health District to prevent an outbreak, Laub said. It also plans to be as open as possible with the public about the incident and the precautionary steps it is taking.
Contact Anna Merriman at 329-7245 or email@example.com.