September 2, 2014

Elyria
Cloudy
76°F
test

Careless smoking causes apartment fire

LORAIN — Careless smoking caused a fire at the Tower Regency Apartments, 1021 Tower Blvd., around 3:45 a.m. Sunday, according to Assistant Fire Chief and Fire Marshal Jeff Fenn.

Fenn said Tuesday that the fire began in a bedroom of a second-floor apartment in the three-floor, 12-unit building located between Falbo and Oberlin avenues. No one was hurt in the fire in which firefighters said they arrived to find tenants climbing down ladders placed against the building by residents and Good Samaritans.

The fire displaced between nine and 12 people, Fenn said. It caused about $100,000 in property damage and $40,000 in damage to belongings.