December 18, 2014

Elyria
Cloudy
29°F
test

Jury refuses indictment in Oberlin shooting case

Sean Woodings appears at a preliminary hearing on May 1 in Oberlin Municipal Court. CHRONICLE FILE PHOTO

Sean Woodings appears at a preliminary hearing on May 1 in Oberlin Municipal Court. CHRONICLE FILE PHOTO

OBERLIN — A Lorain County grand jury refused to indict an Oberlin man accused of shooting four men he said were harassing him.

The case against Sean Woodings, 25, was presented to a grand jury for consideration in August, and the grand jury returned with a decision that no charges were warranted.

Woodings initially had been charged with four counts of felonious assault by police.

He was accused of shooting Quan Jackson, 23, of Oberlin; Emilio Hernandez, 26, of Lorain; Anthony Lee, 22, of Elyria; and Isiah Richardson, 17, of Oberlin, on April 25.

All of the men were treated and released from the hospital with relatively minor injuries, including bullet wounds to the arm and lower extremities. One of the men was grazed in the head by a bullet.

Woodings’ attorney Edward La Rue did not return a call for comment on Thursday, but he had previously indicated that Woodings was harassed by the alleged victims before and after the shooting.

Woodings was in the process of obtaining a civil protection order against one of the victims, and a search warrant filed in Lorain County Court of Common Pleas indicated that one of the alleged victims, Jackson, had been threatening Woodings for weeks leading up to the shooting.

Police said the threats involved money that Jackson’s ex-girlfriend, Brelan Stevens, owed to Woodings.

Jackson denied going to Woodings’ apartment with the intention of confronting Woodings, but La Rue said a group of men were standing outside of the parking lot of Woodings’ apartment prior to the shooting.

Contact Chelsea Miller at 329-7123 or cmiller@chroniclet.com. Follow her on Twitter @ChelseaMillerCT.