With childhood obesity at an all-time high, it is increasingly important to provide children with healthy lunch options at school. According to the Ohio Department of Health (ODH), salad bars are a great way to do so ... plus, salads bars are a win-win for everyone!
- Students can be excited about a healthy lunch
- Parents will be more likely to allow their child to buy lunch
- Food service staff will have less food waste
- Administrators may notice an increase in academic achievement
- Teachers may notice more focused students during the day
The Creating Healthy Communities program at the ODH held a video contest to promote salad bars. Lorain County's very own Amherst Steele High School won the “Ohio School Food Service Director’s Choice” award and will be receiving a flag for their school and a produce sectionizer for their cafeteria! Check out this must see video created by the Amherst Steele High School Medical Health Tech Class of 2014!