November 27, 2014

Elyria
Cloudy
33°F
test

Driver who ran over child pleads guilty, faces jail time

John Carter

ELYRIA — The driver accused of running over an 18-month-old boy in March 2012 pleaded guilty to driving under suspension in the case.

Prosecutors dropped an additional charge of vehicular assault against John Carter as part of a plea deal that will see Carter serve time in the Lorain/Medina Community Based Correctional Facility.

Defense attorney Mike Kinlin said there was no evidence that his client was reckless when he was backing out of a Charleston Avenue driveway in Lorain and struck Miguel “Mikey” Romero.

“It was a fair resolution,” Kinlin said.

Miguel’s family has said the boy suffered a slight skull fracture in the accident. Kinlin has said previously that Carter initially stopped to check on the boy, but fled the scene after he was threatened.

Carter, 39, also pleaded guilty to possession of heroin, DUI, driving under suspension and other drug charges in an unrelated 2013 case.


  • Brandy Lynn

    This guy is obviously a douche bag just by looking at his pic and then the drug charges; but my question is who the hell was watching this BABY when this guy ran him over????

    • Dave Sommers

      Please don’t judge a book by the cover. Well except in this case. And yes why is the baby running around? Very sad indeed!

  • Donmega

    His head looks fracture and really big.