The fire occurred in Apartment 5 of the two-story, brick building near Oberlin Avenue and Tower Boulevard, according to Assistant Fire Chief Gary Burls.
Apartment residents said lights flickered and went out around 10 p.m. and they had to reset the circuit breaker. The lights went out again at 11 p.m.
The fire displaced 10 people who were being assisted with temporary housing by the American Red Cross Lorain County chapter, Burls said.
An electrical problem is believed to have started the fire, which caused $75,000 in property damage and about $8,000 in damage to belongings.