October 21, 2014

Elyria
Cloudy
48°F
test

Ten people displaced by Lorain apartment fire

LORAIN — No one was injured in an apartment fire at 1110 Kingsway Blvd., called in at 4:33 a.m. Tuesday.

The fire occurred in Apartment 5 of the two-story, brick building near Oberlin Avenue and Tower Boulevard, according to Assistant Fire Chief Gary Burls.

Apartment residents said lights flickered and went out around 10 p.m. and they had to reset the circuit breaker. The lights went out again at 11 p.m.

The fire displaced 10 people who were being assisted with temporary housing by the American Red Cross Lorain County chapter, Burls said.

An electrical problem is believed to have started the fire, which caused $75,000 in property damage and about $8,000 in damage to belongings.

The total value of the property is $138,130, according to the Lorain County auditor’s website.


  • Brandy Lynn

    There are WAY too many fires going on lately!!! All over in NE Ohio. They can’t be all accidents. :(

    • Dave Sommers

      That’s an ignorant remark! :(

      • Brandy Lynn

        LOL. I’m an ignoramus! Those apartments were dope houses I’ve been told.

        • Cheryl E Keiffer

          One very dear friend lived there and trust me, she is not on dope! Nothing like stereotyping all people that lived in the vicinity of this fire. This was due to faulty electrical wires in the wall of the bathroom.

    • Dave Sommers

      That’s an ignorant comment! :(