When firefighters arrived at 4:31 a.m., smoke was coming from the home and a gasoline can was on fire on the front porch, according to Assistant Fire Chief Gary Burls.
He said gasoline appeared to have been poured at several places around the house. The fire marshal’s office is investigating.
Burls said the fire was contained by 5:16 a.m. The home, just west of Oberlin Avenue, was boarded up.
The fire caused about $1,000 damage to the 1,080-square-foot home, which is valued at $23,760 on the Lorain County auditor’s website.