The 2014 Martin Luther King Jr. observances in Lorain County will feature events during the next week and half highlighting the civil rights leader and local efforts to keep his legacy alive.
- 7 p.m., Greater Victory Christian Ministries, 559 Reid Ave., Lorain. “Man’s Time to Wake Up from the Dream,” featuring Luis Villarreal.
- 11 a.m., Elyria Public Library Miller Room, 1194 West River Road N. The 35th annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Festival featuring Roger Smith.
- 6 p.m., Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 632 West River Road N., Elyria. Youthful Praise for Dr. King, sponsored by the Northern Ohio Baptist District Association/SSDY.
- 4 p.m., Friendship Baptist Church, 2160 Reeves Ave., Lorain, hosts Lorain NAACP King Celebration.
- 5 p.m., Finney Chapel at Oberlin College, 90 N. Professor St., Oberlin. Program features a solo performance by Michael Fosberg and Mount Zion King’s Men’s Gospel Choir.
- 7 p.m, Greater Victory Christian Ministries, 559 Reid Avenue, Lorain. MLK Jr. celebration.
- 10:30 a.m., march from Ely Square to Elyria High School.
- 10:30 a.m., Elyria High School Performing Arts Center, 601 Middle Ave., Elyria. The 28th annual Elyria Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. community celebration “Determined to Stand for Equality.” Minister Mark Taylor will deliver the “I Have a Dream” speech. Live broadcast by WJTB radio. Music performed by Pastor Rochelle Carter. MLK education and information fair 12:30 to 2 p.m. in the EHS Performing Arts Center lobby.
- 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Marcel Hall, 117 Oberlin Road, Elyria. A holiday soul food dinner sponsored by Marcel Holding Corp. Cost is $10 for adults and $8 for children younger than 10.
- 12:15 p.m., corner of South Pleasant and Vine streets, Oberlin. A rededication to the dream at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Park Memorial. Shared readings and song.
- 1 to 1:30 p.m., Lorain Main Library, 351 W. Sixth St., Lorain. Teen Drama Club will present “A Readers Theater Honoring Martin Luther King Jr.” Registration is required at LorainPublicLibrary.org or call (440) 244-1192.
- 6 to 7 p.m., South Lorain Branch, 2121 Homewood Drive, Lorain. Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration. Lorain’s Body of Christ mass choir will perform a free gospel concert. Registration is required online at LorainPublicLibrary.org or call the South Lorain Branch at (440) 277-5672.
- 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Lorain County Community College, 1005 N. Abbe Road, Elyria. LCCC Office of Student Life King celebration of the life, legacy and relevance of King. Refreshments will be served.
- 4:30 p.m., the Backspace at the Bridge, 82 S. Main St., Oberlin. Program to honor King by using a new fleet of eight iPad minis. Participants will learn how to use the devices in honor of King during the free program, open to students in grades six to 12.
- 7 p.m., Kanisa House, 142 Cleveland St., Elyria, 35th annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. workshop, sponsored by FCII of Ohio and the African American Christian Institute. The workshop will deal with voting and how to assert rights.