September 2, 2014

Elyria
Cloudy
76°F
test

Driver accused of running over toddler sent to corrections facility

John Carter

John Carter

ELYRIA — A Lorain driver who had been accused of running over an 18-month-old boy in March 2012 has been ordered to spend time in the Lorain/Medina Community Based Correctional Facility.

John Carter, 39, had pleaded guilty in December to driving under suspension in that case as well as for an unrelated 2013 arrest on charges of possession of heroin, DUI, driving under suspension and other drug charges.

Carter had also been charged with vehicular assault in connection with the 2012 injury of Miguel “Mikey” Romero, who was hit by Carter’s vehicle while it was being backed out of a Charleston Avenue driveway in Lroain.

Miguel’s family has said the boy received a slight skull fracture, while an attorney for Carter has said his client initially stopped to check on the boy but fled the scene after being threatened.

In addition to his time at the CBCF, Carter also was fined $375, lost his driver’s license for three years and will be on probation for three years.

  • Toad

    is he sleeping

    he looks tired

  • Christine Watson

    How much time did he get? Or did I miss something?

  • Razorback Twou

    What did he get, 20 minutes?

  • beety

    Wake up, you’re in trouble!