“A good diet and regular physical activity is the key to a healthy heart” said David Covell, RS, MPH, Health Commissioner of the Lorain County General Health District. Every journey begins with one step, and every journey needs healthy choices.
One Step at a Time:
- Don't become overwhelmed- A good diet and regular physical activity doesn't happen overnight, each step is a good step
- Don't do it alone- Exercise and eat healthy dinners with family and friends
- Don't get discouraged- Focus on what you can do, even if it's eating one less sweet during the day
- Reward yourself- Staying on track with your health goals, don't forget to reward yourself and find fun things to do to decrease your stress
For Valentine's Day and other February gift giving opportunities there’s no better way to show someone how much you care than to let them know you’d like them healthy for years to come. Show your loved one you care with these fun, delicious, and active gift ideas!
• Send a fruit basket - All natural sugars and healthy nutrients will keep your heart strong and energy high.
• Warm up dark chocolate for a fondue - Dip strawberries, raspberries, cherries and pomegranate in dark chocolate for a sweet snack that is higher in antioxidants than milk chocolate.
• Try something new! - Test your moves on the dance floor at a dance lesson or take a stab at that fitness class you’ve always wanted to try.
• Check out a seasonal activity - Ice skating, sledding, tobogganing or a winter hike will burn calories and keep your blood pumping.
Resource: February is American Heart Month, CDC