WELLINGTON — No one was injured after a chimney fire spread quickly through a house on state Route 58 Thursday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to 24189 state Route 58 shortly after noon after the homeowner reported the blaze.
Wellington Fire Chief Mike Wetherbee said fire crews found the chimney fire had spread to the attic and roof. Crews had the fire out in 20 minutes.
Wetherbee said the fire started in a wood burner, which got too hot. He said the homeowner, who was the only occupant in the home, escaped without injury.
The Lorain County Auditor’s website lists the owner as James Teehan.
According to the Ohio Department of Transportation, state Route 58 was closed between state routes 162 and 18 while crews battled the fire.
Rochester, LaGrange and Spencer fire departments provided mutual aid.
After extinguishing the blaze, firefighters knocked down a portion of the roof and wall to make sure the fire was out.