July 24, 2014

Elyria
Mostly cloudy
73°F
test

Too many extension cords in bedroom blamed for Lorain fire

LORAIN — Overloaded extension cords are blamed for a fire called in at 12:24 a.m. Sunday at 2805 W. 40th St.

Assistant Fire Chief Gary Burls said firefighters needed about eight minutes to contain the small fire that ignited in a bedroom in the one-floor, single-family wood-frame home. Burls said homeowner Terry Brestovansky told firefighters after making a sandwich in the kitchen, he returned to the bedroom, saw smoke and called 911.

Brestovansky, who received temporary housing from the American Red Cross Lorain County chapter, was unhurt.

Burls said Brestovansky had several appliances plugged in inside the room. The fire, contained to the bedroom, did about $5,000 in structural damage and about $500 to belongings. The 1,412-square-foot home has a market value of $74,970, according to the Lorain County auditor’s website.