The Lorain County Beautiful Awards committee is accepting nominations for the 2014 Lorain County Beautiful Awards. The awards are designed to recognize buildings and sites for their aesthetic contribution to the quality of life in Lorain County. Business and community leaders, builders, landscapers, or residents with an eye for beauty are encouraged to nominate Lorain County sites that exemplify improvement within the community.
Nominations are divided into five categories:
- Category 1 — New Building Award. Any newly built commercial, public, religious or recreational property completed after January 2012. Subcategories: project building budget up to $750,000, project building budget over $750,000
- Category 2 — Green Building Award. Any residential or non-residential building (interior and/or exterior) that demonstrates sustainability by increasing the building’s efficiency and reducing its non-sustainable resource reliability.
- Category 3 — Renovation Award. Any building or site that impacts neighborhood/downtown revitalization through exterior repair, alterations and additions.
- Category 4 — Landscaping Award. Any exceptional commercial, public or religious landscaping project.
- Category 5 — Community Service Award. Any volunteer project for the betterment of the community such as community garden projects, beautification teams, etc.
Any project completed since the 2012 Lorain County Beautiful Awards will be considered.
Deadline for nominations is July 31. After the nominations are gathered and finalists chosen, a panel of landscaping and architectural experts from outside Lorain County will judge the sites and choose the winners for each category. The finalists and winners will be recognized at the awards banquet Oct. 23 at the John A. Spitzer Conference Center in Elyria.
To make a nomination or to request a nomination form, contact Lorain County Heritage at (800) 334-1673 or visit www.loraincountybeautiful.org to submit a nomination. Awards banquet sponsorship opportunities are also available.