The Chronicle-Telegram staff won six first-place awards at the annual Ohio Associated Press Media Editors awards in Columbus on Sunday.
Reporter Lisa Roberson won for Best Explanatory Reporting for a Sept. 1 story on a new Ohio library funding law and its effect on the Elyria Public Library System and the Grafton-Midview Public Library.
Photographers Kristin Bauer won for Best Photographer for her submitted body of work, and Steve Manheim won for Best General News Photo of a 7-year-old daughter of a homicide victim being hugged by her grandmother.
Assistant Sports Editor Scott Petrak was named Best Sports Columnist and Best Sports Feature Writer. The Chronicle sports staff won Best Special Sports Section for the Aug. 29 high school football preview.
The awards are in the division for newspapers with a daily circulation between 13,000 and 24,999.
Other Chronicle winners:
- General Excellence: The Chronicle, second place.
- Best Columnist: Andy Young, second place.
- Best Editorial Writer: Andy Young, third place.
- Best Sports Feature Writer: Chris Assenheimer, second place.
- Best Daily Sports Section: The Chronicle, second place.
- Best General News Photo: Kristin Bauer, second place.
- Best Sports Photo: Kristin Bauer, third place.
- Best Photo Essay: Kristin Bauer, second place.
- Best Community Service: Chelsea Miller, second place.
- Best Breaking News Coverage: Brad Dicken and Chelsea Miller, third place.
- Best Investigative Reporting: Brad Dicken, second place.
- Best Page One Layout: Ben Nagy, third place.
In addition, The Chronicle’s managing editor, Julie Wallace, will serve on the Ohio Associated Press Media Editors board, representing newspapers with a circulation of 15,001 to 50,000.
The Medina Gazette, The Chronicle’s sister paper, also received 14 awards in the 8,000 to 12,999 division, including a tie for first place in the General Excellence category and first-place awards for Best News Writer, Best Special Sports Section, Best Daily Sports Section, Best Illustration, Best Community Service and Best Enterprise Reporting.