UPDATED: LORAIN — Columbia Gas of Ohio crews worked through the night into late Saturday afternoon to restore service to about 350 households affected by a gas leak along Cooper Foster Park Road Friday afternoon.
Columbia Gas spokesman Ray Frank said service was restored to all but about 25 residents who could not be contacted after repeated trips to their homes.
“We went to their homes at least three times each, and left information for them on how to contact us to have their gas service restored when they do return,” Frank said.
The gas leak occurred about 2:40 p.m. when Lorain Fire Department crews were called to the 500 block of Cooper Foster Park Road on reports of a leak. It was determined the cause of the leak was a contractor’s crew that struck a gas line, said Lorain Assistant Fire Chief Gary Burls.
LORAIN – A portion of Cooper Foster Park Road remains closed to traffic following the discovery of a gas line leak earlier this afternoon.
Lorain Fire Department Assistant Chief Gary Burls said fire crews were called to the 500 block of Cooper Foster Road about 2:40 p.m. on reports of a gas leak.
“A construction crew hit a gas line in the area and our units and (Lorain Police) auxiliary are standing by to assist,” Burls said.
Columbia Gas Co. personnel were also at the scene to secure the leak.
It was not immediately clear whether the gas line leak occurred on residential or commercial property, or in the street.
The incident has impacted an estimated 350 properties, according to Mayor Chase Ritenauer, who said no one had to be evacuated from the area.
No injuries were reported as a result of the leak, Burls said.
It was also not known how long the affected section of Cooper Foster Park Road would be closed to traffic.