December 22, 2014

Elyria
Cloudy
39°F
test

Teen heading to adult court in fatal Elyria shooting

Tristen Belfiore

Tristen Belfiore

ELYRIA — The 17-year-old facing aggravated murder and other charges in connection with the shooting death of Davion Strupe last week is bound for adult court.

Lorain County Prosecutor Dennis Will said because of the nature of the charges and Tristen Belfiore’s age, moving the case out of Juvenile Court is mandated by state law if prosecutors can prove there is probable cause for the charges.

Belfiore turned himself in to the Lorain County Juvenile Detention Home last week after Elyria police issued a warrant for his arrest following the July 1 death of the 24-year-old Strupe. Belfiore also had been wanted for violating the terms of his parole from the Ohio Department of Youth Services.

Juvenile Court records show Belfiore was sent to a state facility in November after being found delinquent of breaking and entering. He was released on parole in April, said Juvenile Court Administrator Jody Barilla.

Michael Towne, Belfiore’s attorney, said he has yet to see the evidence gathered by Elyria police linking his client to Strupe’s death.

According to police, Strupe was part of a melee involving at least 30 people outside 1143 Garden St. Police have reported that Strupe was targeted in the brawl, but have declined to say why.

Strupe managed to escape from the fight and was fleeing when he was shot in the back, police have said. County Coroner Stephen Evans has said that while Strupe had other injuries, he died from the gunshot wound.

Two other people, Martin Markus, who was arrested without incident on July 2, and Anthony Marcano, who turned himself in, also face charges in the case.

Elyria Police Capt. Chris Costantino said the investigation is continuing and other people involved in the melee could be charged.

Contact Brad Dicken at 329-7147 or bdicken@chroniclet.com. Follow him on Twitter @BradDickenCT.