According to Avon fire Capt. David Swope, who provided mutual aid to the Avon Lake Fire Department, a 25-year old woman was taken to the emergency room as a precautionary measure after she drove her vehicle near an electrical transformer that possibly was struck by lightning and her extremities began to feel numb.
The Avon Lake Fire Department was responding to several commercial fire alarm alerts and a report of an electrical transformer fire Monday afternoon as well, but when crews arrived at the transformer site, the fire had burned out, according to Lt. Jim Berry of the Avon Lake Fire Department.
At the same time, Leaps and Bounds Childcare, 525 Moore Road, called to say an employee may have been struck by lightning while driving in her vehicle, and the Avon Lake Fire Department requested assistance from Avon EMS squads, who transported the worker.
“The transformer blew up, or was struck close enough to her, to where she may have experienced some residual effects,” Swope said.
Leaps and Bounds Childcare Center owner Dawn Kroneker said the employee was on break when the scare occurred.
“She didn’t even know for sure what happened, but she drove here and said, ‘I don’t know if I got struck by lightning or not,’ ” Kroneker said. “We called EMS just to be sure she was OK because she wasn’t 100 percent sure what had happened.”
Swope said the woman’s vehicle was not damaged and that she did not receive any injuries besides some numbness in the hands.
“Either way it was worth transporting her for a medical assessment,” Swope said. “When we dropped her off she was in good shape, and we did write this down as a potential lightning strike.”