NORTH RIDGEVILLE — The list of the city’s top-paid employees was largely unchanged from a year ago, with Fire Chief Richard Miller and Police Chief Michael Freeman again among the five on the list of the city’s top 10 paid workers.
Miller had a 2012 salary of $125,257.98, followed by Police Chief Michael Freeman, who earned $117,755.41. Freeman ranked fourth in 2011 with a salary of $112,956.
Assistant Fire Chief Scott Bement earned $113,459 last year to again come in third on the list.
Assistant Fire Chief/paramedic John Reese was fourth with a 2012 salary of $112,081.14.
Police Capt. Edward "Marti" Garrow ranked fifth with a 2012 salary of $110,364.54.
Garrow was 10th on last year’s list with a 2011 salary of $96,059.
Garrow declined comment when asked about his differing salaries.
Deputy Auditor Teresa Machovina said a number of factors are behind increases and decreases in salaries, but the most common reasons for pay increases are such items as longevity payments for reaching pre-determined milestones in terms of years of service, overtime or cash-out payments for unused vacation or compensatory time.
“There are a number of factors involved,” Machovina. “Sometimes it’s one thing or a combination of items.”
Pay increases for the city’s highest-paid safety and administrative personnel including the fire and police chiefs, mayor and safety-service director, are linked to salaries negotiated for unionized rank-and-file safety forces and city workers, Machovina said.
These hikes go to the two chiefs, Mayor David Gillock and Safety-Service Director Jeffry Armbruster, according to Machovina.
“They each get a small percentage increase that is slightly higher than pay of the highest-paid union personnel,” Machovina said.
The top-10 list was rounded out by police lieutenants Kevin Jones and Anthony Lee, Gillock, Armbruster and Donald Daley, superintendent of the French Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Absent from the 2012 list were former police chief Rick Thomas and police captain Allan Dent, each of whom retired prior to 2012.
- Fire Chief Richard Miller - $125,257.98
- Police Chief Michael W. Freeman - $117,755.41
- Assistant Fire Chief Scott D. Bement - $113,888.02
- Assistant Fire Chief-paramedic John C. Reese - $112,081.14
- Police Capt. Edward M. Garrow - $110,364.54
- Police Lt. Kevin P. Jones - $105,500.60
- Mayor George D. (David) Gillock - $100,106.22
- Police Lt. Anthony W. Lee - $100,096.88
- Safety-Service Director Jeffry J. Armbruster - $97,190.50
- French Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant Superintendent Donald D. Daley - $92,022.19