GRAFTON — Beginning in January there will be some new top administrators in the Midview Schools — including new principals in the high school and middle school — following Tuesday’s school board meeting.
The reorganization, which includes additional reassignments, is the result of the earlier resignation of Dr. Cathy Pugh, director of curriculum and technology, who accepted a job as assistant superintendent at Lorain County Joint Vocational School.
It is unknown how much money will be saved, but Kuhn said “it will show some significant savings.” Salaries in the reassignments are “competitive, but among the lowest for similar positions in Lorain County,” Superintendent John Kuhn said.
Saving money — and using staff to its fullest extent — will become increasingly important because of budget projections showing a $4 million deficit by the end of 2011 if nothing is done, Kuhn said.
Kuhn said pending retirements were also a consideration.
Tom Faska was named high school principal and will replace 10-year veteran principal Susan Bobola, who was named administrative director of facilities, technology and security.
John Brown was tapped as the new principal at the middle school, replacing Scott Goggin who will become administrative director of professional education services.
Both Faska and Brown have experience as assistant principals and “love the district and love the kids,” said Kuhn.
The Midview school board voted unanimously Tuesday night to approve the reorganization, which eliminates one of the three top-paid administrative positions.
Two positions will be eliminated to make the changes. Howard Dulmage, interim business services and facility planning manager, will leave the district Dec. 31.
Robert Maxwell, the administrative director for educational services, will retire in July after 36 years with the district.
Kuhn said each administrator moving into a new position will be paired with the person who previously served in that position as a mentor.
Reassignments Effective Jan. 1
- Susan Bobola (now high school principal) will become administrative director of facilities, technology and security — $93,856.56.
- Scott Goggin (now middle school principal) will become administrative director of professional education services — $93,856.56.
- Tom Faska (now an assistant principal) will become high school principal — $82,975.78.
- John Brown (now an assistant principal) will become middle school principal — $79,632.44.
- Bob Maver (now athletic director) will become an assistant high school principal and oversee an interim athletic director — $74,465.45.
- Ralph Mayer (former athletic director/assistant principal at Vermilion High School) will be an assistant principal at the high school through June and oversee an interim athletic director — $290 per day.
- Stan Hughes — $10,000.00 for rest of this school year (January 2010 to June 2010).
Contact Cindy Leise at 329-7245 or firstname.lastname@example.org.