July 3, 2015

Elyria
Sunny
71°F

Train carrying hazardous materials derails, catches fire in Tennessee

MARYVILLE, Tenn. — A car on a CSX train carrying a flammable and toxic substance derailed and caught fire in eastern Tennessee, prompting the evacuation of thousands within a 2-mile radius. Blount County Fire Department Lt. Johnny Leatherwood said a call about the train derailment came in Wednesday night at 11:50 p.m. EDT in Maryville. Read More…

Sanctuary of Elyria church destroyed in fire

fire_slider

ELYRIA — The College Heights Baptist Church lost its sanctuary to fire early Saturday morning as members stood by and huddled under umbrellas in the pouring rain. Some feared the fire was arson, but that was not the cause, said fire Chief Richard Benton. “Arson has been ruled out at this point,” Benton said. “The Read More…

No injuries in minor fire at Lorain County Regional Airport

airport-fire-SLIDE

No one was injured in a small fire in an empty airport hangar at the Lorain County Regional Airport that was called in about 6 p.m. Tuesday, according to Oberlin fire Lt. Michael Streator. Firefighters are shown here surveying the scene. Smoke was seen coming from the roof of Hangar L on the east side Read More…

Early morning fire destroys Amherst barn

AMHERST – A fire burned through a barn early Thursday, destroying the structure and everything inside, according to firefighters. Firefighters were called out to 262 Milan Ave. around 4 a.m. Thursday after getting a call that a barn was on fire in the area. When they arrived, firefighters found a 30 ft. by 40 ft. Read More…

12-week-old puppy rescued from Avon home fire

KRISTIN BAUER | CHRONICLE
Firefighters work to put out a fire at 2335 Candlewood Drive, in Avon, on Saturday afternoon, May 23.

AVON — The sole occupant of a Candlewood Drive home wasted no time in letting rescuers know where to find him when a fire broke out Saturday afternoon. The barks of a 12-week-old boxer mix quickly brought firefighters to the rescue after a fire started at the home in the 2300 block of Candlewood Drive Read More…

Where there’s smoke, there’s … marijuana?

Firefighters enter a home on College Park Drive in Elyria on Wednesday. They then called police after finding what they believe was marijuana. BRUCE BISHOP/CHRONICLE

ELYRIA — Police are investigating an Elyria home after firefighters — called to put out a fire — found marijuana plants inside, police said. No one has been arrested in the investigation, which is ongoing, said Elyria police Capt. Chris Costantino. The fire was reported by a passer-by about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at a house Read More…

South Amherst fire destroys barn

barn

SOUTH AMHERST – Fire destroyed a barn at 10153 Gifford Road about 4 p.m. Sunday. Firefighters were called at 4:05 p.m. and arrived about 8 to 10 minutes later. The barn was engulfed in flames when they arrived, said Fire Chief Al Schmitz. Firefighters hosed down hot spots about 4:35 p.m. Schmitz said besides spraying the Read More…

Cause for Amherst house fire believed to be bad wiring

Amherst fire fighters clean up following a house fire at 45730 North Ridge Road in Amherst Sunday afternoon. ANNA NORRIS/CHRONICLE

AMHERST — Faulty front porch light electrical wiring is believed to have caused a fire that badly damaged a home at 45730 North Ridge Road, according to Assistant Fire Chief Jim Wilhelm. No one was hurt in the fire called in at 12:36 p.m. Sunday, but five cats and three birds died. Homeowner Michael Tyson Read More…

One killed, 10 displaced in Lorain apartment fire

A fire in a first floor apartment at the Lakeview Colonial Apartments in Lorain  claimed the life of one man early Sunday morning. ANNA NORRIS/CHRONICLE

LORAIN — An apartment fire at 12:25 a.m. Sunday killed one resident and displaced 10 others at the Lakeshore Colonial Apartments complex, 3910 W. Erie Ave. Jeffrey Banalmen, 61, is believed to have died of smoke inhalation and thermal burns, according to Lorain County Coroner Dr. Stephen Evans. An autopsy is scheduled for today. The Read More…

Careless smoking causes apartment fire

LORAIN — Careless smoking caused a fire at the Tower Regency Apartments, 1021 Tower Blvd., around 3:45 a.m. Sunday, according to Assistant Fire Chief and Fire Marshal Jeff Fenn. Fenn said Tuesday that the fire began in a bedroom of a second-floor apartment in the three-floor, 12-unit building located between Falbo and Oberlin avenues. No Read More…