July 1, 2016

Elyria
Partly cloudy
65°F
 

Annual Chalk Walk in Oberlin on Saturday

OBERLIN — The annual Oberlin Chalk Walk will take place at 10 a.m. Saturday throughout downtown. Children and adults alike are invited to come and create sidewalk masterpieces. Sidewalks from the Allen Art Museum to the Public Library and from the college bookstore to the Oberlin Inn will be available as “canvases” to make creations. Read More…

Oberlin council divides, distributes energy proceeds

Oberlin residents could see returns of about $90 per year on their electric bill with the City Council’s decision to return 85 percent of the proceeds of the sale of renewable energy to its customers. The remaining 15 percent goes into the city’s sustainable reserve fund, which pays for a contract with an entity called Read More…

Oberlin won’t pursue dual tax hikes

OBERLIN — Oberlin Schools won’t place an issue on the November ballot for a pre-kindergarten-through-12th-grade school. The district had proposed a 37-year, 4.81-mill property tax to generate $16.7 million and a 30-year, half-percent income tax to generate around $18.8 million to fund construction of the proposed $35.5 million campus which has been in discussions for Read More…

Oberlin school board votes to have hybrid issue certified

OBERLIN — It was standing room only at a Board of Education meeting Tuesday where residents expressed opposition to a proposed November levy for a pre-kindergarten-through-12th grade school. Numerous residents said they are already taxed to death by both the city and the school district and they won’t support a combined property and income tax Read More…

Oberlin Schools examines combined tax issue

OBERLIN — Oberlin Schools is looking for a way to fund construction of an all-student campus and is eyeing a combination property and income tax issue as the best way to spread the burden among taxpayers, according to school officials. “We have always felt it is more equitable to split the cost between property taxpayers Read More…

Memorial Day schedule of events

Rumpke, Republic Services and Elyria will not pick up garbage on Monday because of Memorial Day. Pickup will be delayed by a day for the rest of the week, meaning if pickup normally is Friday, it will be Saturday instead. Government buildings will be closed Monday as will most banks. Amherst The Memorial Day Parade Read More…

Oberlin, college reach settlement in lawsuit over proposed hotel

OBERLIN — The city and Oberlin College have settled a lawsuit filed by the college over plans for a hotel project the college is building in downtown Oberlin. Oberlin Law Director Jon Clark said City Council approved the deal, which largely hinged on parking, during a special meeting Wednesday night. He said lawyers for the Read More…

Oberlin College sues city over requirements added ‘illegally’

ELYRIA — Oberlin College is suing the city over a failure to draft a development agreement for the Gateway Hotel project and other burdens placed on project developers. The 105,000-square-foot Peter B. Lewis Gateway Center that is being constructed will include a solar-powered hotel, a convention center accommodating up to 300 people and Oberlin College’s Read More…

Filmmakers to debut Sunday in Oberlin

LAGRANGE — Gathering around the living room of Chad and Tami Kerr, four teenage boys sat side-by-side throwing out terms such as “story boards,” “stop-motion animation” and “final cut.” It’s a conversation Tami Kerr has heard over and over again. She wouldn’t have it any other way. Chad Austin Kerr, Ian Schank, Cameron Kerr and Read More…

Oberlin library levy passes

OBERLIN — Voters continued to show their support of the Oberlin Public Library by passing Issue 12. The 3.25-mill renewal levy passed 2,888 to 905, or 76 percent to 24 percent, according to unofficial results released by the Lorain County Board of Elections. The five-year renewal will raise about $592,624 a year to help pay Read More…